Nov 12, 2013

Taeyang returns after 3 years with a delightful transformation

태양, 3년 만에 돌아온 그의 반가운 변화
[enews24 = 안소현 기자] “It’s like fish sauce.”

From being a part of BIGBANG to becoming a solo artist. TAEYANG, who always delivered trendy music to the fans, compared his album to something completely unexpected: fish sauce. But it connotes that his song has been ripen for a long period of time and now emanates deep and strong scent. There was an indescribable confidence seeping out of TAEYANG, as he devoted 3 years in his solo album. During this timeframe that could be deemed as a long period of time, TAEYANG solidified his musical mind that is unique to himself.

The new song ‘RINGA LINGA’ that is deeply influenced by powerful beat steers away from the rhythmical hip-hop that was seen in his first full album. But the advance-release song is just the beginning of his newborn music. The 2nd full album, which will go on sale next January, will hold 11 songs with different genre and feels to it. Music lovers can expect to be surprised by the freshness of it. TAEYANG, who has been away from the fans for so long, apologized and thanked them for waiting for him.


“Actually, if things went as planned, my album should have been the first to be released among BIGBANG members. The delay can be blamed on my boss (founder of YG Entertainment, Yang Hyun Suk) and my ambition to make it more perfect. I always feel bad for the fans. My solo activities overlapped with BIGBANG-related promotion, so I could not carry out my solo career for an extended period of time. But I do believe that I should do my best in that limited time. I hope the fans just simply enjoy the outcome of my work, rather than considering in other factors. My promotion and music video are short, but I hope they remain long-lasting in people’s hearts.”

The news on TAEYANG’s solo comeback has been hovering from the beginning of the year. He explains that his ambition as an artist caused the delay. He was more focused on his musical ambition than the short period of promotional stage. He has truly put much energy and time into this latest album.

“Because of the big delay in the album release, my confidence for my songs vanished at one point, even though at the beginning they sounded good. But just before the release I listened to them one by one very carefully, and I realized that the effort I put in is as rich and strong as fish sauce. (laughter) Just like fish sauce, some may like it while others don’t. But I have faith in it that this album embraces my genuine passion for music and dedication and commitment. And my colors became very strong and vivid. This is an album that provides a peek into TAEYANG’s past, present and future.”

The transformation he has gone through as a musician was so clearly seen in the new song ‘RINGA LINGA’, a jointly produced song with his long-time friend and partner G-DRAGON. TAEYANG’s trace was seen in every step of the process including teaser concept, music video and choreography. Such devotion is evidence of how much affection TAEYANG has for the song ‘RINGA LINGA.’

태양, 3년 만에 돌아온 그의 반가운 변화2
“I worked on ‘Ringa Linga’ last. Another song was set aside for advance release, but when I heard a portion of G-DRAGON’s song, I asked him to work on the song from the beginning. And in just one or two days, the entire recording was done. Part of me wanted to showcase something different to the previous album. I thought this was a good timing to show a different side of me. As for the teaser image, I was inspired by the Incan civilization that I witnessed at the historic sites of Peru when BIGBANG was on a world tour. The structure of ‘Ringa Linga’, especially at the middle part, radiates something very Korean. So I thought it would be great to hold something of my culture in the music video. I chose the choreographer myself, too, after watching a number of videos of different choreographers.”

TAEYANG did not forget to mention G-DRAGON when he talked about ‘Ringa Linga’. The two teamed up for the first time for the song. G-DRAGON has been producing BIGBANG’s songs, but it was a first for him to partake in TAEYANG’s album. The two boast 13-year-old friendship, and their strong bond is delivered fully to the audience through the perfect collaboration in the song.

“G-DRAGON and I share special friendship. It’s like we’re meant to be. It’s almost like if I were to get married, it would be him. Although he’s a guy. (laughter) We shared nothing in common since we were little. That’s why we had much respect for what each other does. Our tastes are different, but we like the same things. That’s why we get along so well. Many ask if I feel weighed down because of G-DRAGON’s huge success with his solo album before mine, but that’s not how I feel at all. I just hope that my album does not leave a dent in the reputation of BIGBANG.”

Huge fans of TAEYANG claim that BIGBANG’s success for the last 8 years is mainly attributed to TAEYANG. Many incidents came as a threat to the group several times, but TAEYANG always kept his position as the center pillar. He says he grew fonder and more affectionate for his fellow members for the last years.

“There was a time when I wanted to stand out more than other members. But since last year or so, I started to think that BIGBANG members are most important and valuable. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for BIGBANG. Part of me is thankful to the incidents that happened to us. If it weren’t for those incidents, the relationship would have gone far worse because of the clashes of opinions, like what any group of people would experience at some point. Something happened to us when we were beginning to become self-important and opinionated, which helped us value and thank each other more. I realized that I grew so fond of the members. Just like my name, TAEYANG, which means ‘sun’ in Korean, I try to be the ‘light’ of the group. I feel that it is my position and role to do so.”

With the release of ‘Ringa Linga’, now TAEYANG will be spending restless time until next year. After BIGBANG’s Japan Dome Tour starting from this month, BIGBANG is scheduled to release their second single next month and TAEYANG 2nd full album next year.

“Dome Tour could be seen as an extension of our World Tour. As we are releasing a single, we can showcase many different features to the fans. I personally enjoy preparing for the concert with the members and just hanging out with them makes me happy. My 2nd full album will be released in a little while, but it’s good for me. I think it will be better for promotion when my album comes out fully next January. Just like how ‘Ringa Linga’ came as a surprise to everyone, each song in the album will be able to deliver similar feelings. I hope people are excited about my music and they pay undivided attention to my songs.”

2013. 11. 12.

source: YG life

No comments:

Post a Comment